Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lecture 5 : Derrida,Differance and Cut up; Rachael Folds


Min cut length 2: Max Cut length 8

http://www.hamiltonsbrain.co.uk/cutup/cutup.htm


Original Text 1st Paragraph

And it is a tomb that cannot even be made to resonate. In effect, I cannot let you know through my discourse, through the speech being addressed at this moment to the French Society of Philosophy, what difference I am talking about when I talk about it. I can speak of this graphic difference only through a very indirect discourse on writing, and on the condition that I specify, each time, whether I am referring to difference with an e or différance with an a. Which will not simplify things today, and will give us all, you and me, a great deal of trouble, if, at least, we wish to understand each other. In any event, the oral specifications that I will provide - when I say "with an e" or "with an a" - will refer uncircumventably to a written text that keeps watch over my discourse, to a text that I am holding in front of me, that I will read, and toward which I necessarily will attempt to direct your hands and your eyes. We will be able neither to do without the passage through a written text, nor to avoid the order of the disorder produced within it - and this, first of all, is what counts for me.

Cut-up text 1st Paragraph

through my discourse, through the speech "with an e" or "with an a" that I will will not simplify things today, and of the disorder produced or différance with an a. Which and your eyes. We will be able neither difference only through a very indirect and me, a great deal I will read, and discourse on writing, - will refer Society of Philosophy, what difference the oral specifications am referring to difference with at this moment to the French me. text, nor to avoid the order uncircumventably to a written text that keeps watch condition that I specify, each time, whether I to do without the passage through a written toward which I necessarily at least, we an e will attempt to direct your hands over my discourse, I cannot let you know of trouble, if, being addressed to resonate. provide - when I say and on the about it. I can speak of this graphic In effect, even be made within it - and this, first counts for will give us all, you to a text that I am about when I talk wish to understand each other. In any event, And it is a tomb that cannot of all, is what I am talking holding in front of me, that


Original Text 2nd Paragragh

In a language, in the system of language, there are only differences. Therefore a taxonomical operation can undertake the systematic, statistical, and classificatory inventory of a language. But, on the one hand, these differences play: in language, in speech too, and in the exchange between language and speech. On the other hand, these differences are themselves effects. They have not fallen from the sky fully formed, and are no more inscribed in a topos noetos, than they are prescribed in the gray matter of the brain. If the word history did not in and of itself convey the motif of a final repression of difference, one could say that only differences can be "historical" from the outset and in each of their aspects.

Cut-up text 2nd Paragraph

the exchange their aspects. language. But, on the one hand, these differences "historical" from the outset and in each ot final repression of difference, one could say that only in a topos noetos, than they are prescribed in the gray matter of the differences can be inventory of a brain. If the word history between language and speech. On the other a taxonomical operation can undertake the systematic, statistical, from the sky hand, these differences are themselves did not in and of play: in language, in speech too, and in and classificatory fully formed, and are no more inscribed In a language, in the system of itself convey the motif of a language, there are only differences. Therefore effects. They have not fallen


Comments

Using the cut up technique on two paragraphs of Derridas’s Differance, the resulting text seems to make more sense on the second paragraph. When I say sense, I mean that the essence of what he wrote is not lost to such an extent as the first paragraph. This, in my opinion is due to the first section of text is structured in more as a dialogue and the second section more as something to be read.


No comments: